ADVERTISEMENT FOR A/E REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Pursuant to §41-16-72 of the Code of
Alabama, as amended, the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) requests submittals from qualified design professionals to provide design, engineering, and contract administration for services for the following project: Alterations of Laboratory Space at the ADEM Birmingham Field Office, located in Birmingham, Alabama. The contract shall be awarded to one architectural firm and the services will be contracted per the Manual of Procedures for the Alabama Building Commission.
ADEM is a state agency responsible for assuring a safe, healthful, and productive environment for all citizens of the State. ADEM staff issue permits, conduct inspections, initiate enforcement actions, and collect data in support of the agency mission. The ADEM Birmingham Field Office currently has designated laboratory space that is utilized by chemists to perform a range of analytical tests that include Biological Oxygen Demand, Chemical Oxygen Demand, Chlorides, Nutrients, Oil / Grease, and Alkalinity
Proposed Scope of Work:The Scope of Work for professional design services shall include but not be limited the following: Alterations in an existing building of roughly 4,500 square feet of laboratory space, which is currently divided between four (4) different rooms, and reconstruction of new laboratory space for modernization and efficiency enhancement. Construction budget range is tentatively set at $500,000 – $600,000.
The Scope of Work will include specific items such as:
• Modernization of Electrical and HVAC system. To include but not be limited to laboratory exhaust vents/hoods replacement, and electrical needs for work.
• Removal and replacement of existing emergency showers, eye wash stations, and laboratory sinks
• Removal and replacement of existing finishes, cabinets, work benches, counter tops, and shelving.
• Replacement of the existing deionized water system with a new system
• An Environmental Materials Consultant will be required for this project for possible asbestos remediation
• A Laboratory Consultant will be required for this project. The renovated laboratory space will require accommodations for
laboratory chemists to process and analyze primarily water samples. Laboratory space will need to be designed for
specific laboratory equipment currently in use along with the required ventilation hoods, compressed air / vacuum lines,
and deionized water system. Laboratory space to also accommodate coolers / freezers, storage areas for flammable liquids,
storage areas for hazardous waste, and acid resistant counters / casework. Laboratory space to include isolation with
controlled access from the office areas within the same structure.
Qualifications:The design A/E team shall have the following qualifications and experience:
• An experienced team with extensive prior knowledge of the renovation of laboratory space, with projects of equal or greater size and complexity in the last 5 years.
• An experienced team with experience working with a technical staff to develop specific laboratory space requirements within the parameters set by ADEM.
• An experienced team with knowledge of laboratory space design that supports efficient laboratory operations on a day-to-day basis.
• Must have design professionals licensed and currently registered to practice in the State of Alabama.
• Laboratory Consultant with extensive knowledge of renovating and redesigning laboratory spaces with specific mechanical and testing needs enumerated. Must also have extensive knowledge regarding code requirements for laboratory specific needs.
• Previous experience working on State of Alabama Projects and familiarity with the Division of Construction Management’s procedures.
• The design team’s location and availability to meet with ADEM in both Montgomery and Birmingham, to conduct timely visits and monitor the day-to-day activities for the duration of the project, to maintain project schedule, and to provide effective construction management.
Recognizing the composition of Alabama’s citizenship, the Alabama Department of Environmental Management encourages submissions from design professionals that represent Alabama firms with diversity in their staffing and proposed project team, including but not limited to, associated design professionals and consultants.
§41-16-82 of the Code of Alabama requires a disclosure statement to be completed and filed with all proposals, bids, contracts, or grant proposals submitted to the State of Alabama in excess of $5,000. The form is available online at http://www.ago.state.al.us/File-AL-Vendor-Disclosure-Statement.
§31-13-1, of the Code of Alabama, (Alabama Immigration Law) imposes conditions
on the award of state contracts. Firms must agree to fully comply with the Immigration Reform and
Control Act of 1986, as amended by the Immigration Act of 1990, and the Beason-Hammon Alabama Taxpayer
and Citizen Protection Act. Professionals should review and adhere to these guidelines as appropriate to their project type.
Open Trade: In compliance with Act 2016-312, the Architect to certify that it is not currently engaged in, and will not engage in, the boycott of a person or an entity based in or doing business with a jurisdiction with which this State can enjoy open trade.
Response: Interested firms shall submit the following: 1.) Letter of Interest;
2.) Statement of Qualification utilizing the GSA Standard Form 330 for the lead design firm and all consultants along with information for similar relevant projects ongoing or completed within the last 5 years. Information for similar relevant projects shall include project description, project budget, project location, project timeline including design start and construction contract completion, scope of work, owner’s name and contact information, plus any other relevant information; 3.) Signed and completed Disclosure Statement
Proposals must be received no later than 4:00 PM (Central Standard Time) on February 12, 2019.
Submit five (5) copies of the required proposal information
Mr. Scott Hughes, Chief, Field Operations Division
C/O Katie Williams, Project Architect
Division of Construction Management
State of Alabama Department of Finance
RSA Plaza Building
770 Washington Avenue, Suite 470
Montgomery, AL 36104
P.O. Box 301150
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-1150
For questions and additional information, contact Katie Williams via email at email@example.com .